Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Banding brown pelicans!











Ok so Sunday I got to go out with some people to band brown pelicans. I did not know that they were endangered until last year when they got unlisted. The major reasons they became endangered was from habitat loss and also from problems arising from the pesticide DDT . See, DDT made the eggs brittle and weaker, and pelicans incubate eggs with their feet. So eggs were getting crushed and other whatnot. Anyways, DDT was banned along time ago and efforts from private and federal have helped these birds come back. But they still need to be watched over. SSOOOooo.. I got to band them. neat huh!








2 comments:

  1. Hey Cristina!

    Banding the pelicans must have been an awesome experience!

    Though, I do have one question/comment. Is holding the wings of the pelican back like that typical when banding? When I was taught to handle pelicans, they told us that holding the wings back like that strained them so we were told to hug them to keep them immobilized and leave their legs kicking, while controlling their beaks of course. But I'm no pelican expert so...I don't entirely know? But if you do know, let me know!

    ~Christine C. (from CIP)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    My name is Becky Masters and I am a picture researcher

    I am trying to source an image you have on another blog entry labelled 'Last years SCA's at Barren Island, image~ Lamar Gore' that I have seen on your website.

    I am wondering if you could help me get permission along with high res image if available and an idea about cost if any for usage inside our book. We are happy to credit the images on the credits page.

    Our deadline is nearing soon and would greatly appreciate at your earliest convenience.

    If you are not the owner/copyright holder of this image, I would greatly appreciate any contact details you have for the owner/copyright holder

    Kind regards


    Becky Masters
    beckymasters@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete